Monday, October 29, 2012

Update - Workout/Diet - Calorie Shifting

I was asked to do an update on the my newest exercise and diet routine.  Not sure exactly what kind of update was wanted, but here goes...

The first week and a half I lost 5 lbs.  That was really exciting!
Then we went on a little vacation, and I tried to keep up during that, but it was hard to know exactly how many calories things were.
Then we got back and although I was keeping to the calories eaten and the calories burned, I don't think it was super effective because I was counting simple exercises... for example, one day I counted burned calories from playing the piano.  That doesn't really work my body, you know.  Also, I had so many things going on in my day for a few weeks I'd eat barely anything in the morning/afternoon and then eat things later so get my calories in (not the best).

So, long story short, I'm still at that weight loss (haha, at least I haven't gained). 
I'm determined to get back on track.

But, I have found some fun workouts on Youtube and most days I do my Slim in 6 DVD (I forgot how much I liked this workout video).
From Youtube, I especially love these:
Leaner, Longer Legs (10 minutes)
Get Madonna's Arms (10 minutes)
I love that they're only 10 minutes.  Feel free to share any workouts you love.

The only thing is my workouts go from about 50 to 130 minutes a day and it's SUUUUUUPER hard to do with my kids.  While I usually enjoy working out, they make me loose motivation fast, then my workout probably isn't as effective.  I don't know why I think exercising is going to be a nice time where I actually get to do something for myself, by myself.  I seriously think this every evening or morning, but of course that never happens.  Haha.  There are so many interruptions and that's really frustrating.  I always feel good when the workout is over and happy I did it all the way through.   If my kids both slept through the night and pass 6:00, I'd wake up earlier.  But this is just the reality of it and so I need that much more determination (or support!... if you want to help encourage me :) )

I put up 3 recipes that I've enjoyed onto our food blog (I think there are cobwebs all over that blog's HTML).  I'll post more as I go.

So now it's week 5 (wow, that's sounds horrible thinking I've only lost 5 lbs)
and this is the weeks menu:



                1100 Calorie Day (Sun, Tues, Fri) – week 5

Breakfast –
Crunchy Pumpkin Ice Cream
1 scoop XANGO Protein Powder
2TB plain-canned pumpkin
½ cup skim milk
1 cup multigrain cold cereal
6 ice cubes

Combine and blend all ingredients except cold cereal to desired consistency. Stir in cold cereal.
 
Calories – 260

Snack –

Cottage Cheese Bowl
½ cup fat free cottage cheese
1/3 cup sliced red grapes
¼ banana, sliced
2 TB slivered almonds

Combine fruit and cottage cheese and sprinkle almonds on top
 
Calories – 187

Lunch

Apricot Sandwich
1
turkey bacon strips (30)
2 pieces multigrain bread, toasted (160)
1 tablespoons apricot jam(10)
1 ½ ounces thinly sliced deli peppered turkey (54)
 2 slices tomato(9)
 2 pieces leaf lettuce
1 slice reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese (20)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (10)

In small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Spread 1 toast slice with jam, 1 with mustard. Layer with turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce and cheese.

 
Calories – 293

Snack
String Cheese – 80
Granola Bar – 90
 
Calories – 170

Dinner

Burrito
1 low-carb whole grain tortilla (80)
2oz chicken, cooked
2TB non-fat refried beans
2TB salsa
2TB mozzarella cheese
chopped lettuce and onions

Spread refried beans onto tortilla.  Layer with remaining ingredients and fold in ½.  Crisp burrito in frying pan.
 
Calories – 229

TOTAL CALORIES - 1139
SHOPPING LIST
(for 3 days)

*protein powder
*canned pumpkin
*milk (fat free)
*multigrain cereal
*cottage cheese (fat free) (1 ½ cups)
*grapes
*banana
*slivered almonds (6 TB)
*turkey bacon (3)
*wheat bread (6)
*apricot jam
* deli peppered turkey 1 ½ oz (3)
*tomato
*lettuce
*Sliced reduced fat mozzarella cheese (3)
*Dijon mustard
*string cheese (3)
*granola bars (3)
*whole grain tortillas (3)
*chicken (6 oz)
*fat free refried beans
*salsa
*Shredded mozzarella cheese
*onions
 



1700 Calorie Day (Mon, Thurs, Sat) – week 5
Breakfast
Hot Chocolate– 140 calories
2 packets of Oatmeal, w/ ½ cup milk – 325 Cal

Calories – 465

Snack –

Ranch dip and Veggies
1/3 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 tsp ranch powder (dressing mix)
12 whole grain crackers
8 baby carrots
8 cherry tomatoes
1/3 cucumber - sliced

Mix in ranch powder to cottage cheese.  Dip veggies and crackers into cottage cheese mixture.

Calories - 231

Lunch – Chicken Berry Salad
2 oz chicken, cooked
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup mixed berries
10 whole grain crackers
1 cup lettuce
1 cup spinach
1/3 cucumber
2 TB sweet mustard dressing

Cook chicken and chop veggies.  Place lettuce and spinach in large bowl.  Layer chicken, beans, cottage cheese, and berries.  Crush crackers and sprinkle on top.
Top with dressing.


Calories –
300

Dinner –
Hawaiian Pizza
1 low-carb whole grain pita pocket (100)
2 TB pizza sauce
8 zucchini slices
2 slices deli turkey
2 TB pineapple chunks
2 TB mozzarella cheese

Spread sauce on pita.  Layer other ingredients on top.  Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until edges are crispy.

Calories –
272

Other Snacks
Full bag of popcorn – 250 calories
yogurt (90), ¾ cup orange juice (88) – 178 calories
 

Calories – 428
 

TOTAL CALORIES – 1696

SHOPPING LIST
(for 3 days)

*hot chocolate
*oatmeal (6 packs)
*milk
*cottage cheese (1 ¾ cup)
*ranch powder
*whole grain crackers (66)
*baby carrots (24)
*cherry tomatoes (24)
*cucumber (2)
*chicken (6 oz)
*black beans (3/4 cups)
*mixed berries (3/4 cups)
*lettuce (3 cups)
*spinach (3 cups)
*low-carb whole grain pita pocket (3)
*pizza sauce
 *zucchini (2)
*Deli turkey slices (6)
*pineapple chunks
*mozzarella cheese
*popcorn
*yogurt (3)
*orange juice

1400 Calorie Day (Wed) – week 5
MENU
Breakfast
Hot Chocolate– 140 calories
Special K Breakfast – 170 calories

Calories – 310

Snack
1 cup grapes – 129
gelatin – 5

Calories - 134

Lunch

Apricot Sandwich
2
turkey bacon strips (60)
2 pieces multigrain bread, toasted (160)
1 tablespoons apricot jam (10)
1 ½ ounces thinly sliced deli peppered turkey (54)
 2 slices tomato (9)
 2 pieces leaf lettuce
1 slice reduced-fat Swiss cheese (20)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (10)

In small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Spread 1 toast slice with jam, 1 with mustard. Layer with turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce and cheese.

Calories – 323


Dinner
Healthy Choice – Microwavable Meal – 300
Healthy Choice – Dessert – 100

Calories – 400

Snacks
3 pieces of candy – 135 (butterfinger) to 150 (crunch)
yogurt – 90

Calories – 248

TOTAL CALORIES -- 1415
SHOPPING LIST
(for 1 day)

*hot chocolate
*Special K breakfast
*grapes
*gelatin
*turkey bacon (2)
*wheat bread (2)
*apricot jam
*Deli peppered turkey 1 ½ oz
*tomato
*lettuce
*Sliced reduced –fat Swiss Cheese
*Dijon mustard
* Healthy Choice – Microwavable Meal – 300
*Dessert – 100
*candy (crunch, butterfinger baby ruth pack)
*yogurt



You see how I added some candy in that last menu?  I knew I wouldn't be able to resist some Halloween candy. I'm not sure why the 1700 day went wonky, but I couldn't fix all those spaces.  Strange. 
Anyway, I think that's it for an update.  Let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these cool tips for diet plans. Are you not starving too much during days with your 1100 cal diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you checked back David!

      I never felt like I was starving on the 1100 calorie diet days. I think it was smart to eat really healthy things so I could eat more foods and not feel hungry. Honestly, from the menus above, I personally liked my 1100 day the best. I always felt like I was eating the same amount of food as the 1700 calorie days. I tried to plan each meal (for every day) around 300 calories so I felt like it came down to the snacks to give me the extra (or less) calories. I found this way of calorie shifting really easy.

      I have actually taken a break from calorie shifting to try Isagenix, though. (My cousin tried it and had great results) I bought a 30 day supply and I'm on day 3 today I've lost 3.6 (in 2 days). People have amazing results with it, so hopefully I will too. I'm enjoying it, but I think calorie shifting is a better life change for me and I'll go back to that when the 30 days is over, but I'll drop my caloric average down some.

      (If you're interested in that I have a blog tracking each day of the 30 day supply
      isaemily.blogspot.com/)

      How are you doing with your Calorie Shifting? Are you still sticking with it? Tried any great recipes?

      Delete

It's the cool thing to do.