Sunday, January 16, 2011


Some of you know that I had been feeling sick off and on since the beginning of December.  I wasn't exactly sure what was going on.  I went to see my doctor a couple times and took different medications to ease the pain and nausea.  We thought that it could have been a possible yeast infection, multiple UTI's, or multiple kidney stones.  We weren't sure what was going on exactly, but my doctor (well, my old doctor, as Tyler calls her... I'm switching doctors now) was pretty sure it was a UTI, so she gave me a prescription last week.

Last Saturday (my 4th "episode"), I started feeling really sick again.  This was the worst case yet.  I was sick in bed from 8am until 8:30pm.... with fevers, back pains, nausea, vomiting... the works.  I eventually started feeling better so I thought the antibiotic was finally working.

Then Thursday rolled around and the back pain and such came back.  I called my doctor's office made an appointment for a couple hours later.  Unfortunately, I totally forgot Tyler had taken my car to work so I had to walk the 7 blocks in pain, while pushing Danica in our double stroller in the ice and snow.... not fun.  (I really should have called a friend for a ride).  My doctor gave me a prescription for a stronger antibiotic.  I then told her that I thought it was something more than a UTI because it had been going on for over a month and asked if there was a better way to just figure out what was wrong.  She sent me to the hospital (luckily not a long walk) to get a CT scan.

I got the CT scan and Tyler met me at the hospital, leaving work early, and we headed home together.  After many phone calls and waiting around we finally found out that I was experiencing all this pain and sickness because I had a kindey stone! Again! (I had 2 while I was pregnant).

This stone was 3.8 millimeters and was obstructed.  Basically it was really close to the bladder opening, but couldn't make it through.  Because of this being a problem for over a month, my kidney was backed up with a lot of fluid and was having a hard time working and so I ended up with some gallstones too. Blah.

Tyler took Friday off work and after many more phone calls we got an appointment with a urologist at a clinic close to the hospital.  For the hour we were in the waiting room, I noticed I was the only patient probably under 70 years old.  I'm a broken-down 25 year old!  But, on the bright side, I was also the only patient that didn't need assistance to walk around.  After talking with the urologist, he was luckily able to schedule a surgery to get the kidney stone removed that day. 
So off to surgery I went.

The procedure went very well.  They did a urital basket extraction.  As I understand, they basically stuck a tube up, caught the kidney stone with a little basket device, and pulled it out.  We're going to have tests done to see what caused the kidney stone and see if I need to change my diet.  Tyler and Danica hung out in the waiting room... Dani missed her nap, but she was a perfect angel.

I feel very good now recovering.  I'm supposed to take it easy... which isn't too hard to do because I've been very tired and it's the weekend so Tyler's been around.  I have to urinate like every 15 minutes (too much information...???) probably because of all the fluid buildup and also because I've been downing liquids like no other.  I was also told I need to get up and walk around so I don't get phenomena. Tyler's been a HUGE help.  He always is.

I'm so glad we finally figured out what was wrong with me!  I already feel a whole lot better and am not in much pain at all.
(Can you believe this was the quick and shortened version?)

On another note, if you've been following my other blog I finally updated that too.  I put a link in the top right of my blog... or you can click HERE


  1. Man that sounds awful! Glad you're starting to feel better!

  2. Wow! I'm so glad you're doing better now! That sounds like quite the ordeal, and to have to walk all that way in that much pain in the cold... Yikes. You're my hero.

  3. you poor poor thing!! Thank goodness that dr. is a thing of the past...did she even say she was sorry?? Well glad you are feeling so much better so quick!!!

  4. Glad you're doing better. When Tyler goes back to work and if you need help with Danica let me know. Feel free to call anytime Emily. We're happy to help, that's what family's for right?

  5. Dude! I talked to mom last night and she filled me in on what happened. That stinks. What did they say about your gall stones? Are they gonna do anything about them? Yuck. Well, take it easy and next time maybe you should get a ride to the hospital, silly girl.

  6. BETTER call me if anything like this ever happens again or if you EVER need a ride. Got it? Sorry I had to be harsh but otherwise you wouldn't take me seriously.
    Love you! So glad you figured it out and got it taken care of. You had that for a while!

  7. Oh gosh! I hope you are recovering well! Let us know if you need anything. And if anything crazy like that happens again, how about NOT walking 7 blocks in pain?! Call us and we would gladly give you a ride!!

  8. Holy moly! Yeah...your old doctor was not very good...I'm glad you're feeling better already, and I hope you continue to get better. I wish I was there so I could take Dani and give you a day off. Good for Tyler for taking care of you :) Take it easy.

  9. Wow, I'm glad that you are recovering well and doing better! That does not sound fun at all.

  10. Wow! Glad that you questioned your doctor. Who knows how long she would have kept prescribing antibiotics. Glad that everything worked out so well!

  11. Yikes! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that! Some doctors just refuse to listen to their patients when they're patient tell them it's worse than the doctor thinks it is. That's what happened with my ectopic pregnancy. The doctor kept telling me "oh, it's only a miscarriage" and I kept telling her "trust me, this is something worse!", but after a week of ignoring me, I had to go into emergency surgery because my tube burst! Anyway, I'm so glad they figured out what was wrong with you and am glad you're feeling better!!

  12. Wow- that doesn't sound fun at all! I hope you're feeling better now!


It's the cool thing to do.